• Emy
    When a multipart upload to S3 is interrupted, orphan parts of files remain untouched. They seem invisible but still count towards storage.

Is it possible to find them and delete them using CloudBerry Explorer?
  • Matt
    You should see them via tools > multipart uploads.
  • Emy

Yes, thank you! That's what I found.

Do you know if deleting the orphan chunks should work when versioning is activated? Or is S3 going to keep the orphan part as the first "version"?
  • Matt
    That should delete everything, versioning shouldn't affect this functionality.
  • Emy

Thank you
  • Emy
    Follow up question:

Is it normal that a multipart upload creates multiple (at least 2) temporary "objects" in the destination bucket?

(When checking my utilization on my S3 server, I see that I have a few more active "objects" than expected. Is it caused by multipart uploads or something else?)
  • Matt
    The software doesn't create any additional temp files on S3 side, so these are probably created By AWS, they'll be automatically deleted soon.
    I can also suggest to check if you have "show deleted versions" option enabled under tools > options > versioning.

As for the objects, what exactly are you referring to?
  • Emy

In fact I'm not using AWS, but Wasabi.

For example, when I check the "utilization" for an empty bucket that has 1 multipart upload pending, it says that there are 2 objects in that bucket:

image.png
  • David Gugick
    Unlike AWS S3, Wasabi does not require a Lifecycle Policy to remove incomplete multi-part uploads. Instead, Wasabi will automatically remove them in about 7 days to prevent excessive storage being used.
  • Anton Zorin
    most likely these are the metadata files for the output file and the uploaded part of the multipart upload. They will be deleted as soon as you delete the unfinished upload.
  • Emy
    Instead, Wasabi will automatically remove them in about 7 days to prevent excessive storage being used.

Strange, because the test upload I interrupted 12 days ago is still not deleted...

1e9be859be3132cf84fe2332fbb7d732-full.png
  • Matt
    Can't open the screenshot for some reason. Can you re-upload it?
  • Emy

@Matt Fresh screenshot from today

Capture.png
  • Matt
    I would actually copy that upload ID and contact Wasabi support regarding that. They've been having temporary problems with their services somewhere around the end of July, maybe that's related.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment