• db ots
    Hi,

Is it supported to restore a hyperV VM backup to another machine; from the RMM / online dashboard; in a situation where the backup agent is disabled / severely restricted.

Examples that I would need to accomplish:

Scenario 1:
    Given desktop desktop1, and desktop2 both running win10 and each a basic "files backup". I want to remotely restore the files on desktop1 in c:\filesTest to c:\filesTestRestored on desktop2.

Scenarios 2 & 3 setup:
    Given desktop1 running windows10, and server1 running server2019 with hyperV and the vm edition, with two virtual machines backed up (vm1 & vm2)

Scenario 2:

I want to restore the last backup of vm1 to a windows 10 desktop system; to d:\restoredVM; with the intention to then open it from there with the hyperV manager, or perhaps to mount/inspect the vhdx file, etc. How can that be accomplished?

Scenario 3:
    Same setup but i just want to restore a particular folder c:\filesTest inside vm1 to the win10 desktop to d:\restoredFilesTest, again from from the online dashboard.

Ideally the server2019, and the desktop system(s) in use are tied to different user accounts; and the restore is being initiated by an mspbackups cloud 'administrator' account.

Is all or any of this possible, and what are the steps?

I am trying to tighten up security by restricting the backup agent and while setting up backups via the RMM has been pretty straightforward, the restore capabilities I'm used to -- I haven't been able to to figure out.

-best regards,
    Dave
  • Matt
    Scenarios 1 and 2 would work fine as long as VM edition is installed on both of the machines and you're logged in as the same user account. More info on remote backup/restore plan creation can be found here: https://mspbackups.com/Admin/Help/backup-and-restore/backup-plans/virtual-backup

Note that repositories on both machines are not updated automatically, so you either need to sync it manually(RMM > Remote management > Gear button > Edit Options> Repository) or use restore only mode which is only available via the software UI to restore the data that was backed up by a different machine.

Scenario 3 can currently only be performed via the backup agent by right-clicking on the backed up item on the backup storage tab and selecting "file-level restore".
  • db ots
    Just to clarify; Scenario 1 should work without VM edition right?

It makes sense that scenario 2 (and 3) would require VM edition on both systems.
    The requirement that they be on the same user account poses a problem for me though.

Scenario 3 requiring the backup agent poses another problem, as I am trying to run the backup agent with restricted settings for security, and the system doesn't appear to really support having SOME systems using one agent, and other systems using another less restricted agent.*

* You can kind of hack it using sandbox builds but its super clumsy and difficult to manage. It was designed to manage releasing version updates, not managing different agent settings builds of a particular version for different groups.
  • Matt
    Just to clarify; Scenario 1 should work without VM edition right?db ots
    If it's just a file backup - yes.

Scenario 3 requiring the backup agent poses another problem, as I am trying to run the backup agent with restricted settings for security, and the system doesn't appear to really support having SOME systems using one agent, and other systems using another less restricted agent.*db ots
    We're working on this, but as with many features, I don't have an ETA for you to give right now.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment