• Gleb
    It's not a secret, despite the progress we've made so far, our Backup for Linux still lacks some important features - mostly because it is relatively young. I thought it's time we shed some light on our plans and get some feedback to help us set further priorities.

Long story short, the main big features we are planning to add in the nearest future are:
    - Block level backup for files
    - Proper support for SMB/CIFS network shares
    - Proper support for SFTP/SSHFS network shares
    - Option to use backup date for retention (as opposed to using modification date)
    And a number of minor improvements along with that.

The next set of features includes:
    - File name encryption
    - Detailed report
    - Schedule - Stop plan after X amount of time
    And another number of minor improvements.

Image Based Backup is a strategic long term feature that is on our roadmap, we are working on it for some time now. As soon as we sort of complete the must-haves for File Backup we will be able to dedicate more resources to Image Based Backup.

The question to you, dear customers, is - what else you want us to add to our Backup for Linux?
    The more details the better, e.g. specify how important it is for you, and how many machines could benefit from it.
  • Martijn V
    Thanks for the insights Caleb, I really appreciate it. I would personally like to see:
    - more rebranding (i.e. add logo to client screen, left side of top header, next to the buttons)
    - showing storage account usage statistics/package details on home screen + ability to return to home screen via "home button"
    - localisation support (to match locale of desktop of customer)
    - ability to customize the meta information of the package in rebranding (title + description at least)
    - filename encryption (you already mentioned it)
    - image based backup (you already mentioned it)

Fellow MBS users, please comment/rate if you share these!
  • Gleb
    , thanks, that's some food for thought. We are looking into things like how much information we show and what can be rebranded - but it's always nice to get feedback and details.
  • Krasi
    if by "image based backup" you main backup up the OS than +1 this would be a killer feature.at the moment I am using "timeshift" for that.
    +1 for better backup reporting
  • Gleb
    thanks for the feedback!
  • Joe Matuscak
    A bare metal backup option would be great. Particularly if there was the option of running a bare metal to local storage and separately have the really critical data files go to the cloud storage if you don't want to pay for the OS storage in the cloud.
  • Gleb
    , thanks for your feedback.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a strategic feature we are working on. It requires quite an amount of work so it will take us time to implement it - but at some point we will definitely add bare metal backup (in our terms, Image Based Backup).
  • Steven Rosenthal
    Can we get a build packaged for Raspberry Pi? I want to back up the contents of my RPi's external SSD to cloud storage.
  • Gleb
    Hi. We don't have it on our roadmap at the moment.
  • Steven Rosenthal
    Thanks for the reply. I've since discovered 'gsutil rsync' so I think I'll be able to make do with that.
  • maq
    When will the next version be released?
    Only thing preventing me buying the licence at the moment is currently missing file name encryption.
    If I purchase now, can I use the key on the upcoming version that has this feature included?
  • Julia
    Your license will be valid for all future versions. The filename encryption is planned for Q4 2018. I have added your request to our existing requirement. Thanks for your interest in our product and you are welcome to purchase the license!
  • QiQQ
    CBT for Hyper-V and when possible other types of backups, it will save you to do a new full back-up.
  • Gleb
    Hi. We do have this planned for the future, although at this point it is too early to set an ETA. Thanks for your suggestion!
  • QiQQ
    No problem, good to know that it is in the planning.
  • Michael
    Any update on file name encryption for Linux? The comment above indicates it was planned for Q4'18, but I didn't see anything about it in the recent release notes.
  • Gleb
    unfortunately, there's been a change of plans. Currently our Backup for Windows team is preparing to launch a huge revamp to their Archive Mode backup, after that we'll re-use that in Backup for Linux. Since the backups are basically one archive - no information can possibly be collected from file names.
    Yes, it will take longer than if we had implemented what we have for file name encryption in Backup for Windows. That is a development decision we've made. Apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused.
  • Michael
    Thanks Gleb for the update. Any idea when that new capability would be available? It is a quarter push or something longer?
  • Gleb
    I guess it should be available Q3 or Q4 this year - but that is only a guess just yet, it's too early to bring any serious estimations.
  • M Prindle
    I would love to see an official docker image. I am finding it is really easy to manage and upgrade docker containers. They also run well even in small servers like my Intel NUC which currently running four, soon to be five containers.
  • Michael
    I have to admit a year push on this feature is pretty disappointing. One of the reasons we selected cloudberry was multi-platform support with an expectation of feature parity. I paid for linux licenses in 2018 with the hope this was coming, but I am now going to just drop my Linux licenses until this becomes available.
  • Gleb
    I would love to see an official docker image. I am finding it is really easy to manage and upgrade docker containers. They also run well even in small servers like my Intel NUC which currently running four, soon to be five containers.M Prindle

I know you know about it, but for those who don't - here's someone not related to CloudBerry who has created this. It might be helpful.
    https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/cloudberry-backup/

We in CloudBerry do not have plans to support an official docker image - but this will probably change in the future, when the product grows to the maturity it needs for the big time.
  • Gleb
    , thanks for being frank, we are officially sorry to have failed your expectations.
  • daver
    I would basically be happy if Cloudberry would run on my Linux box for more than a day or two without crashing. Sometimes I get a WOOPS! error (see below), sometimes if fails silently. I now treat Cloudberry as a manual backup service, because I can't depend on it to run reliably without checking on it and restarting as necessary. (This is on an up-to-date Xubuntu 18.04 server.) The crashes have been happening for about a year now. Cloudberry works fine on my Windows and Mac boxes.

And please don't ask me to send you all my log files. I don't have time to go through them to see what personal information you are harvesting from them.

2019-02-11 09:55:07,383178 [ERROR]: WOOPS! Me crashed!11
    2019-02-11 09:55:07,387195 [FATAL]: CRASH HANDLED; Application has crashed due to [SIGSEGV] signal
    ======= Backtrace: =========
    [1] /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6+0x3ef20 [0x7f86567b4f20]
    [2] /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6+0xbb769 [0x7f8656831769]
    [3] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Core.so.5:QListData::remove(int)+0x89 [0x7f86577d05c9]
    [4] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5+0x3261f [0x7f8657c9061f]
    [5] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5+0x30428 [0x7f8657c8e428]
    [6] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5+0x30479 [0x7f8657c8e479]
    [7] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5+0x1cbe8 [0x7f8657c7abe8]
    [8] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5:QSqlQuery::~QSqlQuery()+0x24 [0x7f8657c7ae64]
    [9] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libcbbCommon.so:CBB::SQL::CloudFolder::select(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, QString const&, QSqlDatabase&)+0x239 [0x7f865907bbc9]
    [10] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libcbbCommon.so:CBB::SQL::CloudFolder::select(unsigned long long, QString const&, QSqlDatabase&)+0x4bc [0x7f865907c1ac]
    [11] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/raw_bin/cbbLocalManagement() [0x45e3ab]
    [12] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/raw_bin/cbbLocalManagement() [0x4626bb]
    [13] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Core.so.5+0xaa13e [0x7f865776f13e]
    [14] /opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/lib/libQt5Core.so.5+0xad153 [0x7f8657772153]
    [15] /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0+0x76db [0x7f86574ad6db]
    [16] /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6:clone+0x3f [0x7f865689788f]

2019-02-11 09:55:07,387435 [WARN ]: Aborting application. Reason: Fatal log at [../../../dependences/include/easylogging++.h:5583]
  • Jeremie Dufault
    Support for VM Backup would be appreciated! :)
  • Gleb
    Hi . Do you mean VMware backup or any other vendor? Just to have better understanding of your request
  • Jeremie Dufault
    Hi!

Sorry, I forgot to add some words :D

Cloudberry VM Edition on Linux platform. As a MSP, we add to buy a windows licence for all our customer because of that.
  • Gleb
    excuse my bad wording, I mean is it VMware VMs you'd like to backup or anything else (Xen, for example, or Hyper-V)
  • Jeremie Dufault
    Vmware Esxi 95% of the time

I mean, We cannot install cloudberry VM client on a Linux OS, we add to deploy a Windows 10 VM for the sole purpose of doing backup. Linux OS is more lightweight than Windows os.
  • Gleb
    Thanks , understood you. I won't promise any ETA just yet, but this is one of the directions we consider for the future development of Backup for Linux. I've added your request to the list as well
  • ds2
    The use of RCT for Hyper-V 2016 or 2019 would be a game changing thing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment