• Tom's Help Desk
    Hey guys,

I am running MBS to B2 and I have been seeing a large discrepancy between data reported to be stored and the actual data we are paying to be stored on B2. It turned out to be a very large amount of "Unfinished Large Files" and I was wondering if there was any way to automatically or just an easier way to clear out these files. Currently, the only way I have been able to delete these is to manually browse the B2 bucket and select each one and press delete. Considering how many of these I am seeing and how many servers I have running MBS that process would take a very long time. Just to quantify how much data we are paying for in these unfinished files, some of our buckets are being reported to be 8tb, whereas MBS reports 700gb used. The entirety of that discrepancy is due to these unfinished files, which is getting expensive!

If anyone has found a way to deal with these, or some kind of solution and would like to share it I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
  • David Gugick
    There's a post on the Backblaze site about using their command-line tool to remove unfinished large files from an entire bucket (refer to end of post): https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/225556127-How-Can-I-Easily-Delete-All-Files-in-a-Bucket-

In the interim, I will reach out to Support and see if anything can be done on our end to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Thanks.
  • Tom's Help Desk
    Thanks for the reply! I will look into that link, but if you do get any word about a feature in MBS do let me know!
  • Matt
    Hi,

This is actually one of the known issues we're currently working on. The fix is expected to arrive in version 6.0. I've already added you to the list of clients to be notified when it is released.
  • Sergey
    Sure, we've added you to the list too.
  • Tylan
    Following this thread. Please add me to the notify list.
  • Matt
    Added you to the list as well.
  • Steve Putnam
    We gave up on B2 precisely for this reason. I find that Google Coldline is much faster and more reliable than B2 and is only $0.007 /GB/Mo. Data has to be kept for 90 days to avoid early deletion charges, but that is our standard retention period anyway.
  • Sean
    Same here, please add me to the notify list as well.
  • Matt
    Added as per your request.
  • Steve Putnam
    Has there been any development on this on the MSP360 side?
    Regretting switching to Backblaze as I’m getting charged for unfinished file uploads. Would consider Wasabi, but required 90 day retention is too much for Image backups, as we do once-per-month fulls, and only store one.
  • Matt
    Target release is version 6.4, but no ETA right now.
  • Steve Putnam
    That works. Thanks
  • Sean
    Still nothing?
  • David Gugick
    This feature is currently on the 7.1.1 roadmap. In the meantime, if you run into this issue with B2, you 'll have to remove the unfinished large files from their terminal program described at the end of this B2 Help article: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/225556127-How-Can-I-Easily-Delete-All-Files-in-a-Bucket using the command:
    b2 cancel_all_unfinished_large_files mybucketname

• Jerry
    @David Gugick Does the consistency check flag or somehow warn of unfinished files in a Hybrid backup scenario? I'm using CBB for Windows Hybrid backup to 1) encrypt my data, 2) back it up to my NAS, and 3) back that up to Backblaze S3. Is it possible I have undetected unfinished files on BB?
  • Steve Putnam
    Best way to see what unfinished files you have is to go to the Backblaze portal. (https://secure.backblaze.com/b2_buckets.htm) and it will list any unfinished files. I then just go to that particular folder and delete the files that show 0 bytes.
    Ultimately it would be great to have that done automatically, but for now, it is worth a biut of manual effort to get the savings that Backblaze affords (without the 90-day minimum that Wasabi has).
  • Steve Putnam
    David-
    Can you confirm that the latest MSP360 Version 7 now properly deletes unfinished file uploads from BackBlaze B2/S3 compatible?
  • David Gugick
    My understanding is that was addressed in 7.1.4.29
  • Steve Putnam
    Great, thank you. Saves me a lot of hassle having to manually go in and delete them each week.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment