• QiQQ
    Hello,

I'm testing Hyper-V back-up at the moment, the compression looks good from 1 TB of data to 620 GB of first full backup data. But I have some other Hyper-V hosts to do also, so i'm very interested in the amount of data that will be used.

What I want to know:

• Because of the limited upload speed, what do you advise as full upload? Is it safe to use the option to only do a full back-up when xx% of block are changed and if yes
      - Will this full be for a single server or for all servers that have been backed-up? Because they all are in a single back-up plan
      - What do you advise as the best percentage to do a new full
    • What will happen when working with snapshots, like I also have a lab environment on one of the Hyper-V hosts.. Where I use snapshots from day to day to do some testing and after testing I place the snapshot back if needed. What will happen with the back-up?
      - Does the back-up just check the latest checkpoint and when I restore I get the system as it was on that time.
      - Does the back-up get complete corrupted because it is having to much different data
    • Hyper-V internal backup function is used by Cloudberry, does it check if internal VSS is correct so:
      - Is there be checked if the backup is application consistent
      - Will the back-up be on a clean or unexpected shutdown state
  • Matt

Hi,

Regarding your questions:

1) Every VM will be fully-re-uploaded if it was selected for that plan

The percentage depends on your preference, so 50% is a well-balanced default choice. It's a safe option if you don't want to manually set up schedule for full backups.

2) Snapshots performed outside of our software shouldn't affect your backup plans.

3) If there are any issues with VSS you will see the corresponding errors and the plan's status will be "failed". Unfinished uploads upon unexpected shutdowns are cleaned by the next plan launch.
  • QiQQ
    1) Ok I understand, what will be advised when I want to keep 7 versions. (like 7 days) and I selected to only back-up the running servers. virtual servers and want to cleanup servers older then 30 days. Is this the correct setting:
    - Select: Delete verions older than 30 days
    - Deselect: Always keep the latest verion, to automatically clean-up unused VM's
    - Select keep number of versions for each file: 7

2) So when I have a checkpoint named "clean install", and cloudberry makes a back-up. And later I have a checkpoint, deployment from software is done. Cloudberry again makes a back-up. But later I go back to the clean install checkpoint and do a totally different software deployment. This does not matter? So always the state of the VM at the moment of back-up will be the state. So it doesn't matter if I go back in time from my snapshot from 2 weeks ago?

3) Ok, I have seen no errors in my backup reports, but in my event log on the host I have a lot of VSS errors. What to do?
  • Matt

1) The same rules will be applied here as with an image-based backup.
    You need to schedule full backups to make sure purging is performed correctly
    These settings will work fine, but note that if you de-select any VM from the plan that data becomes "orphaned" and will stay on storage side, so it's better to plan beforehand and make sure you select only those VMs that you want to back up.

2) The software will always back up the current state of your VMs no matter what snapshot you decide to restore.

3) You can ignore those messages. If your backups are successful then everything should be fine here.

As an additional suggestion I can provide this link with permissions required to properly perform backups using our software: https://kb.cloudberrylab.com/kb1078/
  • QiQQ
    These settings will work fine, but note that if you de-select any VM from the plan that data becomes "orphaned" and will stay on storage side, so it's better to plan beforehand and make sure you select only those VMs that you want to back up.Matt

Sorry I don't realy undertand "orphaned", does this mean:
    1. They are needed to stay on storage, for all other VM's that are backing up
    2. Or just simply it doesn't do anything, like removing after x days for VM's that are not running?
    3. What if I say, back-up all VM's, will it automatically remove the deleted ones after 30 days?
    4. Otherwise I need to do it manualy, but then I don't understand the option:
    - Deselect: Always keep the latest version, to automatically clean-up unused VM's
  • Matt
    Those VMs that were excluded from the plan will stay on storage side indefinitely until deleted manually, retention policy will no longer be applied to them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment