• paleolith
    My sister -- the only Mac user in the family group -- emailed me "3 of the files that didn't backup failed because of illegal symbols. Apple lets you use symbols in files names that Microsoft disallows. Apparently CB doesn't like the symbols only Apple allows."

This is a very basic issue. I don't have the list of the actual problematic symbols from her, but this issue has been known for like 20-25 years and should have standard solutions.
  • Matt
    When uploading files with such symbols you should always take into account what's actually supported on storage side. The only current workaround is to rename these files.
  • Gleb
    Hi Edward, could you please specify the file names? Just for clarity
  • paleolith
    Trying to get them. She says CSV Export is not available in the Mac version. How can she copy/paste the file names (or complete error log) to send to me?

She also says a couple of files today get the message "File contain illegal symbol!" but she doesn't see any reason. So perhaps it's a misleading message. (Since she had to retype the message, I can't swear there's no typo in it.)

This backup is to Amazon S3. Is there a restriction on S3? I have not tried to look at the object names created by CBB, but AIUI there is no restriction on characters in object names.

Thanks,

Edward
  • Gleb
    Edward, if possible, please ask your sister to use the Feedback button in the top of the app menu, specify "for Caleb: valid file names forum" and hit Send.

Thanks in advance!

By the way, CSV Export and/or right-click-copy will be available in future at some point to avoid this.
    We do have plans to improve user experience with the app.
  • paleolith
    done, ticket #87946.
  • Gleb
    Hi again.

Here it is, see the attached pic (not sure how the text will be shown here).
    " /Users/nann/Desktop/Jungle Disk Files/mac’s Computer/Users/mac/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items/Greek Chicken Pizza .cwk "
    " /Users/nann/Desktop/Jungle Disk Files/mac’s Computer/Users/mac/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items/Armenian Bean Salad .cwk "
    " /Users/nann/Desktop/Pages Documents/recipes/jellies, butters and such/Slow Cooker Pennsylvania Dutch Spiced Apple Butter .pages "
    " /Users/nann/Desktop/Pages Documents/recipes/Pad Thai .pages "

The "spaces" are not spaces actually, but rather are tabs. I don't know how they got to the file names, but I doubt it was done for a reason. Other than that backup was absolutely fine.
    Attachment
    Capture (8K)
  • paleolith
    Thanks, Caleb, I'll let her know. My guess is that the documents started with copy/paste from web pages, and then Pages suggested the title based on the start of the document. Just my guess though.

Edward
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet