• jeanderson410
    I started a backup from my iMac to S3 using Cloudberry Backup. I logged into AWS console and started poking around. It looks like Cloudberry backup creates a file named [folder]:/[timestamp]/[filename]. Looks like the [timestamp] (YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format) is the modified time of the local file, which makes sense. If I download this file via the AWS console, it's jibberish. I did select the compression option in my backup job. Does Cloudberry use some proprietary compression or encoding for files? I get that I can restore a file via the app, I'd just like to be able to maybe retrieve the file on another system using the AWS console.

One more question: I created this S3 bucket with versioning enabled. Is that necessary for Cloudberry backup? Seems you're using a timestamp in the folder name and multiple version of the same file will just cause another folder to get created in S3.

• MattAccepted Answer
    We use gzip with our own proprietary algorithms for compression, so the files can only be recovered either via the backup software or Cloudberry Explorer(currently only for Windows).

Regarding versioning: it's better to disable S3-side versioning, since it could lead to the data being deleted by AWS without our software "knowing" about it or your S3 bucket can generate unnecessary versions of the files which could lead to potential confusion/conflicts during the data restoration.
  • jeanderson410
    Thanks for the prompt reply! I figured you used some kind of proprietary compression, which is OK. I'm evaluating the Explorer for Windows and it's pretty nice. I just tried pulling a file from the backup and it worked!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment