• Cody
    I keep getting 'failed' errors for files that are in use when the backup occurs, for example:

The process cannot access the file '...\ExFabric\ExFab_Price_Sales_List.xlsx' because it is being used by another process.

The VSS service is running and Cloudberry is setup to use it.

I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the free version of Cloudberry.

If the free version should be able to backup files being used by another process what do I need to do the get it working?

• MattAccepted Answer
    That shouldn't be a limitation of the freeware version. Is that file located on a network share? In that case VSS won't be able to get access to that file due to Microsoft limitations.
  • Cody
    The file is on one of the HDDs on my PC; it is not on a network share. I currently have no network shares setup. The file shown is just an example. Seems any 'open' file doesn't get backed-up (with above noted error shown in the log). BTW when I tested Arq Cloud Backup it had no problem with 'files being used by another process'. I was hoping to used CBB instead of Arq because I prefer CBB's UI and restore functionality. But, before I purchase CBB I need to get this locked file issue resolved; if it can't be resolved then I'll probably revert to Arq.
  • Matt
    Ok, I guess we would need to troubleshoot that in the ticket system.
    Just go to tools > diagnostic menu and send us the logs for investigation. You can specify this thread in the issue description and I'll take the case over from there.
  • Cody
    I submitted the ticket as you advised. What is the next step?
  • Matt
    Sorry, don't see any logs from you in our ticket system.

You can generate the log archive manually and send it to us via email:
    run command prompt and execute the following commands:

chdir {Backup software installation directory}
    .\cbb.exe saveLog -p %userprofile%

To find the file you can just execute this:
    explorer %userprofile%

Just send this file as an attachment mentioning this forum thread to
    If it's to big you can upload to any file-sharing service of your choice and send us the link.
  • Cody
    I have generated the log file as instructed above and sent it to the email indicated.

Note: The file, as generated, was named 2018-11-06T12_30_00.cblzip . I'm pretty sure
    the correct naming should have been 2018-11-06T12_30_00cbl.zip . You might want to
    investigate what caused cbb.exe to misname the file.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment