• DO IT Solutions
    I used Cloudberry Explorer to delete 3.5 TB of Data held on S3 / Glacier (goes from S3 to glacier after 1 day).
    It looks like all the files I deleted.
    However, when I use Cloudberry lab to upload a new 3TB data to the Amaxon S3 / Glacier bucket, it now says I have used 6TB of space.

Questions:
    1) When Cloudberry Explorer deletes, does it not mark the space as available?
    or
    2) Does CloudberryLab not see deleted (now free) space as available?

Thank you,
    Michael A.
  • Sergey N
    Hello Michael,

1) In this case we use standard AWS S3 API which handles those attributes on it's own side, we just use set of commands, so answering your question everything should be usable after the deletion. Could you please confirm that the files are deleted normally in AWS console ?

2) Nothing like this i have heard of, if the files are deleted they are deleted and shouldn't pop-up in the listings. Also is there a possibility that there is some kind of versioning enabled on the bucket ?

Thank you and will be waiting for your reply.
  • DO IT Solutions
    I have checked the S3 bucket from AWS console, and only the folders that should be there (since the new upload) are there, none of the old folders I deleted are visible.
    However I do have S3 sending to Glacier after 24 hours in the cloudberrylab S3 bucket settings.

The reason why this is a problem, is because I set a 6TB limit for this backup location in Cloudberrylab. It nows says I have used all 6TB of the 6TB limit.
    I could increase the limit, but I am worried that I might be actually paying for 6TB of data.
    I called AWS support and they confirmed that under 3TB is currently stored.

I originally posted in this topic (cloudberry explorer) because I thought it didn't delete it properly. But perhaps it is a bug in how cloudberrylab detects used space?

Regarding the versioning on S3, I have not heared of this option and cannot see a reference to it. I am trying to see where that might be but I can assure you that I have not setup anything out of the ordinary. I long time ago I setup an S3 bucket and let Clourberrylab do the rest.

Thanks,
    Michael A.
  • Alex V
    Hi Michael,
    Do you mean CloudBerry Backup when you are talking about CloudBerry Lab?
    If so, you have to sync repository after you delete something in the cloud.
    Go to Tools tab -> Options -> Repository tab -> Syncronize Repository -> Select Account -> Syncronize Now.

Best practice is to avoid deletion backups directly in the cloud. It is safer to delete backup on "Backup Storage" tab. You can select backup, right click and select Delete option.
  • DO IT Solutions
    Thank you Alex,

The reason I didn't want to use the Backup storage tab to delete data is because I thought it deletes all data in the backup plan selected, and I only needed to delete some (most) of the data, to re-upload it all with a new folder structure (moved locations for most folders).
    I'll check that out next time, as I used cloudberry explorer instead this time.
    I am re-syncing the repository now, I'll let you know how that goes for detecting the true usage, I'll update this thread in the next couple of days.
    (I ran this during a running backup, not sure if that might stop the currently running backup but that is fine, it runs daily)

On another note, it turns out that re-uploading was expensive as over 2,000,000 requests were sent all over again for the new files to all be uploaded to the S3 bucket.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment