• Timm Zahn
    Are there any plans to offer a Linux version of Cloudberry Explorer? My company has several licenses of the Windows version, but our sysadmins (myself included) prefer Linux over Windows. The alternatives out there to Cloudberry Explorer, for Linux, are dreadful.
  • David Gugick
    A Linux version is being considered and it's an active item for review in our feature tracking system. In the interim, we've had multiple customers report they have successfully run Explorer on Linux via Wine - Wine is a compatibility layer for Windows. While it's not officially supported, we'd love to get your feedback if you try it and report any issues you might have. https://www.winehq.org
  • Timm Zahn
    Interesting idea. I was going to install Microsoft (cough cough) Office via Wine this week to test an Excel need. I'll try the Windows version of Explorer and see how it plays.
  • David Gugick
    Great! Look forward to your feedback. Excel 2016 32-bit appears to be Gold certified on Wine, BTW: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34983
  • Timm Zahn
    Ok, feedback time. :)

CloudBerry Explorer under Wine mostly works. It was a pain figuring out which Winetricks components to install.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is window resizing. It starts maximized and when I resize the window it gives the error "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection." The app must be forced closed to get rid of the error.

I might have a bad combination of DLLs or components. Who knows. I might try other combinations later.
  • David Gugick
    If we get additional Wine config settings from other customers or do some internal testing, we'll post instructions (and probably make a blog post). Keep us posted on any updates.
  • David Gugick
    One more question: Can you post your Linux distro / version you are using? Thanks.
  • Timm Zahn
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.18.0-13-generic
    Wine: 3.0.4
  • Gleb
    Hi , I understand it's not exactly what you're looking for - but you might want to try running the Windows version through Wine (starting from Wine 3.12, simulate Win7 x86). Seems to be running fine for me
  • David Woodson
    I would be VERY interested in a version for Linux. You would probably make another sale or two from me alone.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to CloudBerry Lab Forum!

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to register so that you can participate in the discussions!