• AAbshagen
    We have a scenario that we moved to an older file within our system. In a review while trying to figure out what had happened we noted that the original file was backed up but the older version we put out this morning was not. Is this by design?
    The example would be that the original file in place was from 8/26/2015 and we had to replace with one from 4/19/2015. This second older file was not backed up at all.
  • David Gugick
    CloudBerry Backup uses the file timestamp as an indicator of change. Otherwise, we would be forced to perform a time-consuming binary compare (hash) for each and every file on the hard drive. CloudBerry sees the modified datetime stamp as older and it does not trigger the backup. But I understand why this is an issue for you. My recommendation would be to update the file so its modification date is current. Even if we did back up the file as is, it could cause retention issues if you're using the modification date for retention. Meaning, if you kept backups for 30 days from modification date, and the older timestamp was more than 30 days ago, I don't think CloudBerry will even back it up as it would be deleted immediately from backup storage. You can change modification dates using some freely available utilities or you can test using the following command from a command prompt (please perform test on a test file first to be sure it works for you):

COPY /b FILENAME.EXT + ,,

That should update the file timestamp without any file modifications.
  • dab
    Hello,

Does this mean that if I upload on my computer an old file from a mail or a usb stick or what ever without modifying it, it will not be backed up if the file is too old?

Thanks for sharing your science
  • Matt
    The first upload will, of course, go through, but if it's a file that has been replaced with an old version then it won't be backed up due to time stamp being older than the one originally backed up.
  • dab
    Thanks again Matt. That's clear
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube