• Nicolas Wipfli
    Hi,

I've decided to start testing CloudBerry Backup for Mac as a replacement for Crashplan which costs me 10$/month whereas I'm sure with CloudBerry Backup and S3 I can divide the monthly fee by 2 or even 10. What I'm looking for is an offsite backup which will normally not be used unless a catastrophic event happens with my house.

I've decided to use S3 Glacier Deep Archive but I'm now realizing that it is not necessarily a good idea if I also used the setting to automatically delete the files (ie: after 60 days) that have been removed locally. Why ? Because with S3 Glacier Deep Archive, if you delete the files before 180 days, you incur extra costs, like with S3 Glacier which is 90 days.

To be safe, the option would be to configure CloudBerry Backup to wait 180 days before deleting the files. Or use S3 Standard-IA.

What is your opinion about this ?

Thanks in advance
    Nicolas
  • Gleb
    Hey , Backup for Mac Team member here.

Given the description, I'd say these settings are what you are looking for
    a243af5gk06frhe4.png

However, before you settle with Deep Archive storage class please consider this: if there is the slightest possibility you'll need the data earlier than in several days, you'd probably be better off with S3-IA storage class.
    But if your data can wait that long then yeah Deep Archive might be the optimal solution.

Personally, I have nothing to backup on my home machine, and the data on my office workstation must be available within minutes, not days, so it's in the Standard-IA storage class.
  • Nicolas Wipfli
    Hi , thanks for your response.
    This is exactly the setting I planned to use. However, I've decided to move to the S3 one zone IA storage tier because keeping versions for 6 months, with a weekly or daily backup, would consume a lot of storage space.

Anyway, thanks for your support.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet