• Matt173
    I am unable to back up files from a local folder to a Gsuite GDrive Team Drive. When defining Backup Storage within CBB I am able to create a Google Drive Account but it does not let me specify any of my team drives. Instead the backup uploads files to my actual user account Gdrive which is not my intention. I specifically want to back up to a team drive.

I know that GoodSync allows me to specify the team drive but I have not seen any mention of Google Drive Team Drives regarding CloudBerry Backup. Can someone please point me to how to do that?

I am currently evaluating the Server version and this issue would be a potential deal breaker for me. If it is not doable with CBB then I would appreciate if someone could also let me know as it would save precious time further researching this.

Thanks a lot!
  • Sergey N
    Hello Matt,

At the moment backup to Team Drives is not supported, as a personal advice do not use it as backup target for any backup software, it has a really strict API which will prevent you from utilizing full upload/download speed, security measures like encryption and even simplest data compression. Have a nice day.
  • Matt173
    Thanks for letting me know it's not supported, though I disagree that the team drive api is in any way more constrained than a regular google drive, at least from a user perspective.

Using Goodsync I get average upload speeds of around 35MB/sec (multi threaded) to the team drive , almost exactly identical to a regular Google drive upload. Also I disagree with your issues on security and encryption. Who accesses the team drive is fully at the discretion of the administrator and can be extremely fine tuned. Also encryption can be done on the file or image level so I can't share your concerns at all in that regards.

I do not understand why Cloud Barry does not support team drives when many other tools do support it but knowing it saves me time and helps me in deciding which tool to use.

One huge advantage of team drives is that an individual Google drive in gsuite is limited to 1tb in my case but offers "unlimited space" on team drives. Makes a huge difference for small businesses.

• Sergey N
    Also I disagree with your issues on security and encryption. Who accesses the team drive is fully at the discretion of the administrator and can be extremely fine tuned. Also encryption can be done on the file or image level so I can't share your concerns at all in that regards.Matt173

This is in fact what we do, we encrypt the files before uploading them to the cloud and also we use multipart uploads which are not compatible with GD and compatible with all other popular storages like S3 or Azure. If i remember correctly filename encryption is not supported by GD due to filename length limitation.

Thanks for letting me know it's not supported, though I disagree that the team drive api is in any way more constrained than a regular google drive, at least from a user perspective.Matt173

That is correct, it is roughly the same as for regular GD, however it is simply not compatible with multi-threading and multipart uploads the way it is implemented in our software. We will definitely discuss the update of GD support, but no promises i can make on the outcome.

Thank you and have a nice day.
  • Matt173
    Now I am super confused, two hours ago you privately emailed me claiming that backups to team drives 100% work. Now you claim for a second time in the forum that it does not work. Which one is true?

Also, your initial claims that team drives are a bad choice for syncs and backups were refuted via the arguments you made supporting your claim. I refuted those arguments with facts and you subsequently agree with me on those issues.

Sorry, but in all honesty your comments do not bestow much confidence in either the product or whether you know what you are talking about.

Here is the email you sent me earlier claiming Google team drives work fine with Cloud Barry Backup:

Hello Matt,

We do support it in fact, just add a usual Google Drive account while using your GSuite credentials and that's it. Just tested it myself, works perfectly fine. Hope it helps, feel free to reach out for us in case you will have any questions or issues.

Sergey Nevsky | CloudBerry Lab

Associate Product Manager

• Matt173
    If it works can you please post a detailed walk through how to connect and backup to GSuite Team Drives? It is completely opaque at this point whether you do or do not support it and if you support it how it is supposed to be configured.
  • Sergey N
    Matt, we are talking about different products, read the explanation below:

Now I am super confused, two hours ago you privately emailed me claiming that backups to team drives 100% work. Now you claim for a second time in the forum that it does not work. Which one is true?Matt173

Yeap, it is totally true, the issue here is that you used CloudBerry Explorer address, to which i replied that it is supported. The initial mail looked like this:

Dear customer,

Just wanted to follow up on you trial activation and find out how do you like CloudBerry Explorer PRO so far? Is everything clear and working fine for you?

And it is absolutely true, it is totally supported in Explorer.

Also, your initial claims that team drives are a bad choice for syncs and backups were refuted via the arguments you made supporting your claim. I refuted those arguments with facts and you subsequently agree with me on those issues.Matt173

However here we are located in CloudBerry Backup section of the forums, so here is where the difference and confusion coming from.

Sorry, but in all honesty your comments do not bestow much confidence in either the product or whether you know what you are talking about.Matt173

As i explained above the confusion is due to inaccurate mail handling, no worries it happens.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment