• henryg
    Scenario: I am travelling without access to my pc and need a file that is backed up to Backblaze B2 but is encrypted. I cannot install Cloudberry on the computer I am using. If I download from BackBlaze directly the file of course remains encrypted, so how do I decrypt it?

If I could install the Cloudberry client, can I do so on a 3rd party machine using my login/license details? What if I am travelling with my laptop - can I install the Cloudberry client on that so long as I am only using it on one device?

This is a potential "deal breaker" for me.
  • Matt
    You can install the software on any Windows device you want and then restore the data without any problems if you specify the correct encryption pass during the creation of a restore plan.
  • henryg
    Thank you for the very speed response. But what if I can't install the software due to local restrictions? Very common in commercial situations and indeed in hotels.
  • Matt
    Well, the data can only be restored via our software, but you can install the application on literally any machine with internet connection and then transfer it via USB stick, for example.
    You would still need internet access to log in to B2, so installing the software wouldn't pose any security threats to your network environment.
  • henryg
    In many situations, it is not possible to install software onto a local machine due to security restrictions, so the answer to my first question appears to be that I CANNOT DECRYPT MY FILES"!!

Do you agree?
  • Matt
    If your company's security rules are strict, then you won't be able to do that, but I guess that's an extremely rare case, since the backup software should already be approved by security admin in such situations to at least back up the data within your environment.
    Such permissions for installation of software are easily obtainable even in big corporations with complex security systems.

As I mentioned previously, you can restore your data on any machine and then transfer the data via external HDD or a USB stick as a workaround.
  • henryg
    Matt, please understand that when I travel I probably would not be able to install Cloudberry locally: not my system/s; not my security protocols. So it's not rare, and would apply to any other similar software I might use, eg ARQ. An external HDD or USB is not relevant until/unless the data can be decrypted.

It's a problem, and as yet I don't have a solution.
  • Matt
    Sorry, but this is a conscious design decision, the data can only be decrypted by our software. If installing the software for some reason is not an option and the workaround I suggested is also not acceptable then I'm afraid I can't help with that.
  • henryg
    And can you please clarify the license. If I have a one user/pc license and need to install Cloudberry on another pc temporarily, would I need another license?
  • Matt
    Our licenses are distributed on a per-computer basis. You can either activate the trial version or use the restore-only version for emergency restore operations.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment