• Andrew Carter
    Hello,

I would like to have CloudBerry delete older backups from disk after uploading them to cloud storage (in this case GCS.) For example, I might want to keep only the latest full backup and its differentials and transaction logs on disk, but keep 6 full backups in GCS. Or if that is not possible, maybe forego the local backups altogether, but that is less preferable. Is this possible? I feel like I'm just missing something in the UI.

Thank you!
    -AC

• MattAccepted Answer
    The best way to do that would be to set up 2 backup plans - one to local destination, and one to Google Cloud with 2 different retention policies and then schedule them accordingly. For local backup you can simply specify to keep only 1 version of each file, and for the cloud one just set it to keep 6 versions.
    In one of the future updates it'll be possible to set up different retention policies for each destination in hybrid plans.

And one additional note regarding the plan configuration: I guess it would be better if one backup plan would use regular full diff tlog backups and the other would utilize "copy only" mode and fulls only. Otherwise you may end up with differential backups to cloud that belong to local full backups and tlog backups on both that are not contiguous.
  • Andrew Carter
    Thank you for the prompt reply Matt. I will test this out and update asap.
  • Andrew Carter
    Hello, Matt,

Hopefully just one more question. I can definitely get it to back up sql server locally, then upload those backups to GCS. Is it possible to make it so that I can restore directly from gcs to sql server? Or will I need to restore the full and differential and transaction logs, then manually import them?

Thank you,
    -AC
  • Andrew Carter
    To clarify on my previous question, I would effectively like to do the direct-to-GCS backup, but also keep one copy locally
  • Matt
    You can restore your data directly into your existing environment, like described here: https://help.cloudberrylab.com/cloudberry-backup/restore/restore-types/sql-server-restore
  • Andrew Carter
    Hello, Matt,

Unfortunately, this does not work when doing the 'chained' backup of sql-server > backup files > gcs. It seems like restoring directly to sql server from a filesystem backup is not possible, which is fine. We can use a direct-to-gcs sql server backup and just not keep a local copy.

Thank you,
    -AC
  • Matt
    The location of backed up data shouldn't matter. As long as you see the data on storage side you should be able to restore it. Anyway, it's good that you've found a suitable config for your setup.
  • Andrew Carter
    Hello, Matt,

I misunderstood your original suggestion. I will see if the double backup method with one being copy only is acceptable and likely go that route. I will mark your original answer as the solution.

Thanks!
    -AC
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube