• Allen
    I have windows server 2012r2 with 4 VM's including the Active Directory. Do I have to have Cloudberry on each VM to back them up independently? I have searched the forum and could not find information about this. I have it on the main server where Hyper-V runs and I am backing it up but wondered to be able to restore a VM to an EC2 instance do I need to back up each VM separately and restore them as needed. If I do then do I have to purchase separate licenses? I am new to Cloudberry and only have the trial activated to see if it is better than the current solution, so any help would be great. Thanks
  • Matt
    You have 2 choices here:
    1) Install regular server edition on each VM separately and then restore those image-based backups to EC2
    2) Install VM edition of the software on your Hyper-V host, back up those machines from that server and restore to EC2 just like in point 1.
  • Allen
    Thank you for your help. I think I am going to try option 2 and spin a VM up in EC2 and see how I like it. It seems a lot quicker and easier than I am doing now.
  • Tom Menezes
    Hi Allen,
    I am using Cloudberry Backup VM Edition and We don't need to install Cloudberry on each VM, I run Cloudberry from a VM, my backup server and Cloudberry Backup VM Edition can connect to your hosts and backup the VMs you can choose to backup all VMs on the hosts or individual VMs same for restore.

For more information, you can check this link.
    https://youtu.be/Endn4NxrKtY

Best Regards,
    Tom
  • Rishal
    Hi

I am still confused.

I also have a physical server that's running Win 2012 Domain controller role AND Hyper-V with 3 VMs.

Now as I understand if I install the VM-Edition then I can backup all my 3 VMs but NOT the Active Directory on the host server?

And if I install AD-Edition or Ultimate Edition, then I can back up the AD but no VMs??

So do I need to install 2 editions on the same server?
    And if I have to install Cloudberry to the Host AND all 3 VMs, it would mean 4 licenses for 1 server?
    That works out very costly and against Cloudberry licensing which is "per computer".

Please clarify what is the best option is this scenario.

Thank you
  • Matt
    We don't have AD Edition of the software, so I'm nut sure what you're referring to.
    VM also supports image-based backup, if that's what you're talking about.

Regarding the licensing: that's not contradicting to our licensing model in any way, since VM still can be considered as a separate machine.
  • David Gugick
    You can use our VM Edition and back up any number of VMs on the Hyper-V server with the VM License. Each base license includes 2 CPU Sockets and unlimited VMs on the server.
  • James Dyke
    you are breaking Microsoft best practices !!

a Hyper-v server should ONLY be that. you should run AD inside a VM not on the local host.

do a migration to new AD in a VM then remove the AD from the host server then just backup the VM's
  • Rishal
    I read it's bad practice to have AD DC as a VM. How is the host going to operate without its guest?
    The host should be independent of its guests. Shouldn't it?
  • James Dyke
    not at all, DC's have been fully supported as VM's for years.

the local HV will work very happily as a standard server (no ad joining required)

i have 100's of Virtual AD's on HV, unless you are running a cluster.

James.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet