• Chota
    Hi,
    I'm little bit confused after Restoring files. I was storing some files with activated "File Name Encryption". The Backup runs great and everything looks fine. :smile:

But after restoring some files from the Backup, in the Windows-destination-Folder all filenames looks like "huvtdpjmnhijsi6fylwzb54quthkkwvmid46fmnatwwqw3eqzrw6dqbn5dhipdadaest4drvozjtdlmlnydd2ezlqgb7fqa" instead of correct name, like "MyFilename.exe" :sad:

Is this a bug of Google Drive or do I anything wrong or what ever? I'm confused now... :worry:

BTW: I use Google Drive

• Matt
    That's a bug that allows to enable file name encryption for Google Drive(which it doesn't support).

The best way would be to start your backups from scratch and make sure you don't click "enable" for FNE in "quick edit" section.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend using Google Drive because of bad performenace and security concerns. More info on consumer storage can be found here: https://www.cloudberrylab.com/resources/blog/consumer-storage-services-flaws/

The bug itself should be fixed soon.
  • Chota
    Thanks Matt, I want to use "Google Cloud" instead of "Google Drive". But the price table is totally confusing for me. Same with Amazon S3 an Azure. I don't understand ths price calculators. I seem to be stupid. This is the reason, why I want to use "Google One with 2TB-storage" with filename encryption.

Is OneDrive supporting filename encryption? OneDrive is a more expensive, but also OK. Backblaze is too slow, here in my country.
  • Matt
    None of the "consumer" storage providers support file name encryption, they simply weren't designed for that, so only enterprise-level cloud solutions allow to use file name encryption.
  • Chota
    Thank you! Meanwhile I read your "White Paper" about Cloud-Providers and starts a 30-day-trial with Wazabi!
  • MattAccepted Answer
    Wasabi is actually a great choice overall, so feel free to test and see if it suits your needs.
  • Nate2966423864
    Hi, prior to engaging with CBL for Mac I was already using AWS S3. So created a new bucket for CBL use. After doing couple of backups from CBL using client-side encryption and subsequent login to AWS IAM (curious to look at CBL bucket), I was surprised that folder names and file names were -not- encrypted. Although the file contents were encrypted. Am I missing something?

Attached are screenshots showing my backup plan client-side encryption settings and summary.
    Attachments
    BackPlan Encryption Settings (47K)
    BackPlan Encryption Summary (8K)
  • Matt
    There's no file name encryption for Mac/Linux versions of the software yet. It'll be available in on of the future versions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment