• Toby Turner
    I just had my iMac rebuilt adding a new SSD drive to run the OS with a new, faster external hdd to run my programs. However, I cannot get Cloudberry to open. The app is on the new drive. I'm afraid to download and install Cloudberry (adding my license for premium) because I'm afraid it'll wipe out my S3 settings (which as we all know are a "bear" to re-enter). I've tried the kb, querying via Google, etc., but am not finding answers.

I really need to be able to access my cloud storage to restore key items on the Mac side. The Win vm is running perfectly; the Mac side, not so much. Despite streaming from my original drive, a lot of key data is missing.

Help!
    Regards,
    Toby
  • Toby Turner
    Somebody must know what to do. Given that I'm working with an Apple OS, I cannot direct where a program should be installed. I can't get the rest of my files back without being able to access Cloudberry which I'd counted on being able to do. Must Cloudberry be on the OS drive; is that the problem? And, if so, how on earth do I install it there without a way to direct an installation?
  • Toby Turner
    I have moved everything with respect to Cloudberry I could find from the external HDD to the SSD drive where the OS is located. But, this has not helped!
  • David Gugick
    Toby, since this appears to be a pressing issue for you, please open a support ticket.
  • Toby Turner
    I've done so already.
  • Mike Drechsler
    Just a user here. I have no intimate knowledge of the MacOS cloudberry software beyond what most users know.

But guessing you need to move preferences files from the old drive.

~/Library/Preferences/cloudberry.backup.plist
    Looks like a good candidate. The machine I am currently using isn't up to date so I'm not sure if that's changed recently. But the concept should be similar.

Look for files in /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences/
    (The System level and user level preferences folders)
    Things with filename containing the word cloudberry in them.
    Many programs use the convention: com.companyname.productname.plist So check for that format too.

In finder choose the Go To menu to type in the path name. These are usually hidden.
    On the second drive it's likely going to be something like
    /Volumes/Old HDD/Users/MyName/Library/Preferences
    /Volumes/Old HDD/Library/Preferences

The main boot volume (new hard drive) is going to be the /Library/ and ~/Library/ folders. The tilde character is a unix trick to say "current user home folder" So ~/Library/ is the library folder inside your currently logged in user. It would expand out to /Users/Username/ if you wanted to be explicit about it.

That is basically where all MacOS programs generally store their user preference info so it would be the first place to look for files you forgot to copy over. Because they are hidden folders most do not even know they are there.
  • Gleb
    Hi , thanks for the details.
    I just want to add this:

Most of CloudBerry Backup for macOS configurations are stored under "/opt/local/CloudBerry Backup/config" - just moving them from the old HDD to the new one will be enough to "adopt" them.

Make sure to check if everything is set correctly, just in case!
  • Toby Turner
    Sorry, Mike, nothing you posted helped. I had already moved the opt file to the correct place on the OS' SSD drive. There is absolutely nothing about Cloudberry in the Library Preference folders on the migrated HDD OR within the folders on my SuperDuper backup.

I am running Yosemite, if that helps. So far, Cloudberry is doing a pitiful job of support which has never been the case before and I've been a user for overe 5 years.
  • Gleb
    please check out my last answer above
  • Toby Turner
    I solved the problem by taking the iMac back to the shop, migrating the data from the SSD to the external HDD, removing the SSD and installing the new HDD. Everything works just fine. Despite moving over 9GB of data from the external HDD to the OS on the SSD (including every Cloudberry file I could find), I could not get Cloudberry to work. Once everything was on one drive; it worked.

This was an expensive lesson: I had to eat the cost of the new SSD and pay $300 in labor to migrate and install the new drive. But, it has been worth it. I know many Apple sites claim you can run the OS on an SSD and programs/data on an external HDD, this is definitely not what I experienced.
    Toby
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet