• Brandon K
    Running image backups as follows and confused as to whether or not I should have the "always keep the last version" option checked.

Daily incremental image backups & Full synthetic once a month on the first day of the month.
    Retention Policy is set to 2 months. Essentially we want it to delete any images older than 2 months. I'm confused as to where "always keep the last version" comes into play in regards to image backups and whether this will effect with it automatically purging images older than 2 months. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!
  • Matt
    Technically, it's not possible to have a situation where the last version of an image-based backup is deleted, since purge only happens upon successful backup, and that means you'll still have at least one version of your data on storage side.

You retention policy looks perfectly fine, just note that purging happens upon full backups, so you'll have a little bit more versions on storage side than just 2 months.
  • Brandon K

Thanks Matt. Is there any negative effect to having this option enabled/disabled then? I'm just wondering going forward if I should leave it on or off by default when creating new image based backup plans for other clients going forward.
  • Matt
    No negative effects whatsoever, so you can leave it as it is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment