How to build a Disaster recovery plan in a 2nd AWS region for a small SQL Server DB (30 GB)
in a nutshell, the plan is following:
1. Do a full copy of your SQL server (image based) to S3.
2. Then back up your MS SQL DB with MS SQL backup plan.
3. Restore the server as another EC2 instance in the desired region.
4. Create an application load balancer with target instances to your production and your DR instances.
5. Point your users via the load balancer endpoint.
6. Shut down the DR server.
In case of disaster restore, start up your DR server and restore the DB to the latest recovery point available.
Once the DB is restored your users will be able to connect.
RTO should be around 10-20 minutes.
The whole approach to be thoroughly tested before going to production.